Sunday, October 21, 2018

Keep your feet covered

I really enjoyed reading this story.  Once you read it, you’ll probably think twice before sticking your feet out of the covers...


πŸŽƒ Annie writes:

Hi Bumbledaph!

Here is my TRUE Scary Story Submission.

Everyone knows the classic sleeping move of sticking your feet out of the covers, right?  It’s a standard move, but do you know WHY we do it?  Nether did I, until something happened to me while doing this one night.  After this happened to me, I was so terrified.  I never wanted to experience it again.  So, like the rational person I am,  I googled “Why do people stick feet out of covers while sleeping?”  The answer is simple.  Basically, your body naturally gets colder around the time you usually go to bed.  This tells your body that you are ready to sleep.  The bottom of our feet are hairless and are one of the body’s primary cooling mechanisms.  Our feet also contain blood vessels that are designed to dissipate body heat and the vessels are located just below the skins surface.  Therefore if the skin of your feet are exposed to cold air it will eventually cause your entire body to cool down, and after the blood recirculates, your body naturally want to fall asleep.

I get hot when I sleep, so my “life hack” is that I now sleep with my feet under the covers, and a fan on my face to keep me cool.

Here’s why...

It was a typical fall night.  I fell asleep easy.  My son was born a few months earlier so as a typical stomach sleeper, I had been excited to be able to sleep in my favorite position again.  Like a lot of people, I stick my feet out of the covers to fall asleep. (See above.)  The next thing I remember was “waking up” to someone pulling hard on my exposed left foot.  My foot was pulled so hard that I was now positioned halfway down the bed.  I suddenly “woke up” and looked to see who pulled me.  (You know when you are dreaming and then you “think” you wake up from a nightmare only to actually for real wake up later, and realize you were actually still sleeping at the time you thought you were awake?  Yah, that.)  I felt terrified.  Then, I actually (for real, for real) woke up from a deep sleep, heart beating fast.  It was all a nightmare.  I was so scared, but relieved at the same time that it was a dream.  I lifted my head up, glanced at my sweet baby to my right, turned my head to left and looked at my husband.  Both sleeping.  I sighed in relief... for a moment.  And that’s when I noticed that my body was half way down the bed.  My knees were at the bottom of the headboard and my head was half way down the bed.  Maybe I had a bad dream where I was tossing and turning a lot?  I was unsure.  I felt terrified for that moment.  I really can’t describe what I felt next.  For some reason I immediately knew -most definitely  that it was a woman that had pulled my leg.  All of a sudden I felt calm, and also knew (although not sure how ) that I was not threatened.  It felt like more of a prank.  My mind went right to “Nan” My Grandma, ”Nanny”.  She always made me feel like I was her favorite.  She always understood me.  I was so blessed to see her on one of her final days.  I told her "Hi Nan, it’s Annie. I love you. I’m your favorite, right?  I swear I saw her smile, nod and tear up.

Was this all a harmless prank played by Nan?  Or was it an evil entity trying to sabotage my faith?  Guess I’ll never know for sure.  In the mean time, I choose the latter.  Chicken Soup for the Soul or Bumbledaph Blog?  Easy - Bumbledaph!

...Just in case I’ll continue to sleep with my feet in the covers and a fan on my face, and I advise you to do the same.

Thanks again for your story!

Now it’s time to share one of yours.  E-mail bumbledaph@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment