Friday, January 27, 2017

Dollhouse update - floors

My husband and I have been doing a lot of house repairs, so I wanted to use up anything that was leftover.  I had some Behr paint (Color - Wheat Bread) that was mixed with sand.  I used it to paint the interior and exterior of the dollhouse.  It gave it a really nice realistic look.

I bought a box of craft sticks to use as the wood flooring.  You can get a large box of 1000 craft sticks for about $5 at Walmart.  The craft sticks have rounded tips like popsicle sticks, so I had to cut off each tip.

I don't use any specific layout, but try to keep it as random as possible.  I used Alieen's tacky glue to attach the craft sticks to the floor.

You will have some floor boards that don't lay flat, you will have some floor boards with large spaces between them and it will make you feel like pulling your own hair out.  Don't worry, once it is sanded, stained and sealed, it will look like a gorgeous hardwood floor!

I use small wooden picks to fill any large gaps between the floor boards.  Don't worry about any excess glue on the boards since it will be sanded off before the floor is stained. 

I glued the wood flooring in alternate directions for each room.  This gives it a realistic look since the floor in our own home is laid down the same way.

Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment